"In this classroom, relationships are fostered, families are respected, and children are honored.
In this classroom, nature's gifts are valued and children's thoughts are captured.
In this classroom, learning is alive and aesthetic beauty is appreciated." -Unknown

Sunday, May 6, 2012

Flower Petal Sun Catchers

Awhile back I saw an idea to make a sun catcher using flower petals on Pinterest. I made a few changes and modifications to what I saw and came up with a project for our class. 


A gracious parent brought in a variety of beautiful flowers. We set up a provocation with the flowers, paper plates with the centers cut out, Contact paper (sticky side up), and glue.



The children were told that we needed their arrangement to be as flat as possible and were encouraged to pull the petals apart and place them any way they liked onto the sticky Contact paper. Once they were done with their arrangement, another piece of Contact paper was placed (sticky side down) onto the original piece, sealing the flowers within. The children spread glue around the white edge of the plate and placed another cut out plate on the original one, which sealed everything inside. 





When the glue was dry we used tape to adhere the colorful sun catchers to our classroom windows. Beautiful!!



I love it when we do a project that the process is unique to each individual, their tastes and liking AND it produces a beautiful end product. This is that kind of project.



24 comments:

  1. I tried something similar; putting the petals/leaves in laminating pouches and laminating them. A bit of an experiment but it did work and looked great. - Giselle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Giselle! That sounds awesome. I'd love to see a pic of how it turned out. After awhile the flowers began fading and discoloring in the contact paper just like fresh flowers would. Did you have that result with the laminating??

      Delete
  2. This is so fun. My girls have been asking for days if we can craft with some of the rose petals that are falling off. Now I know what project we can do! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a fun one, Abbie. I love that it's so open-ended and the composition and creativity is up to the child. Please send me a pic of your girls' project. You can post it to me on my blog Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/pages/For-the-Children/170943436350531

      Delete
  3. These are beautiful and I bet so fun for the kids because of the petal-pulling and sticky paper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chrissy! They really did enjoy it and I loved how they all looked different.

      Delete
  4. Awesome. I remember doing something similar when I was younger. Love the idea. New GFC follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessica. The kids really enjoyed choosing the flowers they were going to use and pulling off the petals. I love how each of them is uniquely different.

      Delete
  5. These are lovely! Thanks for sharing at Share It Saturday this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Karyn. Thanks for providing a forum for sharing!!

      Delete
  6. These are gorgeous! I'm featuring this post at The Sunday Showcase tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Allison. The kids really enjoyed doing the activity. Every one turned out uniquely different and they were absolutely gorgeous when placed in the window with the sun shining through them.

      Delete
  7. These turned out really pretty! Thank you so much for sharing with Saturday Spotlight last week. I hope you come by today to share more of your awesome creations! Happy Easter :)

    http://angelshomestead.com/

    April

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, April! I just got back from popping over and linking up our Inspired by Nature post. Thanks for providing a forum for sharing and inspiring!!

      Delete
  8. This is lovely! Thank you for sharing on Party In Polka Dots!

    Shelley

    www.piggyinpolkadots.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Shelley and thanks for providing a forum where we can share.

      Delete
  9. What a fun spring project! They turned out really nice. Thanks for sharing at the After School Link Up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly. We had a lot of fun doing them.

      Delete
  10. Great fun! Very pretty! I am pinning this for future ideas! Thanks for sharing it with us. Hope to see you again tomorrow at Eco-Kids Tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! We did have lots of fun doing them and they looked beautiful with the sun shining through them.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing on Tuesday Tots. I have featured them this week :) http://www.learnwithplayathome.com/2013/04/easy-crafts-for-kids.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah! I just grabbed the "I was featured" button and applied it to my blog. I also just shared my newest post: Butterflies...Hands-on Activities to Enhance Learning.

      Delete
  12. Has anyone tried this using dried flowers or even silk flowers with the plastic parts removed? Seems like that would solve the issue of the flowers fading / rotting. Melonie

    ReplyDelete